Inhabitants in 1991: 2.665
territory of Piazza al Serchio in the Garfagnana, extends for 27.09 square
kilometres, occupying in the most part a basin where the two source branches
of the Serchio which run down from Monte Cavallo and Monte Sillano, join.
The present day name of the municipality goes back to 1863, previously
it was Pieve di Castelvecchio.
Piazza al Serchio was the dominion of the Bishops of Lucca, to whom
it was confirmed by Emperors Enrico VI (1194), Ottone IV (1209) and Carlo
IV (1355). The nearby localities of San Michele and Sala were instead
given in feudal in 833 to the Counts of Castelvecchio, otherwise known
as the Noble of San Michele. For centuries Piazza al Serchio remained
under the political dominion of Lucca; then together with many other lands
of the high Garfagnana, it went to the Estensi in 1446: and it remained
under Modena until the Unity of Italy. In the last war during the German
occupation the local population suffered continual reprisals, and round
ups by the special departments.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford