Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

27 / 36

Rapolano Terme

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 4.975

The municipal territory of Rapolano extends for 83,07 square kilometres on the hills of the high valley of the river Ombrone. Feudal centre then Podesta office it became Seat of Community in 1777.

The Rapolano castle was originally part of the dominion of the Scialenghi Counts who in 1175 gave it to the municipality of Siena in partnership. But its strategic position on the eastern borders of the Siena State made it the target of enemy raids: in 1208 it was devastated by the Fiorentini and again in 1233 by the united army of Firenze and Orvieto; again in 1253 it was practically destroyed by Firenze. Declared Seat of Podesta office towards 1277, Rapolano over the following years was the refuge of the exiled Siena Guelfi and then in 1277 of the Ghibelline, until the same Siena government at the beginning of the 1300s was forced to order the destruction of the castle walls. By the middle of the 1300s all the fortifications were already restored, but the military hostility between Siena and Firenze dragged the castle towards an economic and social decline. With the fall of Siena in 1554, Rapolano also became part of the Mediceo State. From 1949 the name of the municipality was transformed from Rapolano to that of Rapolano Terme.

Places to visit:
Tintori Gate, imposing XIV century construction.
Terme di S. Giovanni Battista, said to have been frequented by Santa Caterina of Siena.
Terme Antica Queciola, already known of in the Roman era. Garibaldi used it to cure a wound.
S.Vittore, parish church in Romanic style, with a three nave interior.
Chiesa della Fraternita, ancient construction, holding a precious fresco from 1500s.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit