Inhabitants in 1991: 3.111
municipal territory extends for 13,36 square kilometres on a promontory
along the underlying creek of the east coast of the Island of Elba.
It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1815 and suffered
territorial reductions in 1906 when the district of Capoliveri and part
of the district of Porto Longone went to form the municipality of Capoliveri.
The nucleus of that which initially was called Longone (and Porto
Longone from 1863 to 1947) is made up of the mighty star shaped fortress
which Filippo III of Spain commissioned in 1602 to Don Garcia di
Toledo. The territory was then part of the Presidi State, together
with Talamone and Orbetello, the original instrument through which the
Spanish monarchs controlled the principal maritime routes of the Tyrrhenian,
mid way between its properties in Napoli and those of the north of Italy.
In effect because of its strategic position the Elba settlement served
as a stronghold against the aims of the Grand Duchy of Toscana and
as a maritime slipway for the Spanish ships. In 1646, after a long siege,
it was freed by the French troops, but four years later was again taken
by the Spanish. In 1714 it was annexed to the realm of Napoli,
and remained with them until 1801, when it was ceded to the French who
had occupied the whole of Toscana. With the Vienna congress in 1815, it
was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Toscana until the Unity of Italy.
|Places to visit:
The Fortress of S. Giacomo di Longone,
imposing building erected by the will of Filippo III of Spain in 1600.
Now it is a penitentiary.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford