Inhabitants in 1991: 8.754
municipal territory of Serravalle Pistoiese extends for 42,11 square kilometres
in plains and hills between the Valdinievole and the Valle dell’Ombrone.
Feudal centre then Seat of Podesta office.
The Serravalle castle an ancient Longobardo fortified settlement
and then probably feudal to the Guidi Counts, was mentioned in
the documents towards the middle of the XII century when it was already
found in the political orbit of Pistoia and attempted to rebel against
them by allying themselves secretly with Lucca. At war with the nearby
neighbours during the course of the 1200s, there was at the beginning
of the following century a long contest for its strategic position which
allowed it to control the access between the Valle dell’Ombrone
and the Valdinievole, by the Fiorentini, Lucchesi (who conquered it in
1302 with Moroello Malaspina constructing the “new” fort)
and the Pistoiese, reconquered by Pistoia, it passed then under the
Lordship of Castruccio Castracanni and then under the direct control
of Firenze at the moment of peace between them and Pisotia (1329).
Returned to Pistoia at the exile of the Duke d’Atene (1343), Serravalle
in 1351 definitively became part of the Fiorentina republic.
|Places to visit:
New Fort, a high hexagonal tower
in Travertino stone from 1318, with some remains of the surrounding
S. Stefano, church founded in XIII century and modified
in 1600. The interior is rich with works of art. It has a 1200 tower
as its bell tower.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford